Um, yum. The following is our “doubled” recipe, you might be crazy if you don’t think you need both…
BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 cup plus 4 Tablespoons flour, DIVIDED
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 6 oz cold cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine 2 cup of flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
2. Toss blueberries with remaining 4 Tbs flour. Fold blueberries and cream cheese blocks into the batter, divide and pour into 2 greased 8 inch baking pans (I used shortening to grease).
3. Prepare topping: In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
We used frozen blueberries and did not thaw them before adding to the batter.
Also, reduced fat cream cheese, though you might want it frozen a little so it’s firm when you cut it.
Also, whole wheat white flour… it’s sort of an obsession of ours.
The cubes of cream cheese make this cake extra special. Give it a try.
**Recipe adapted from an old Taste of Home magazine, then readapted by us from http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/2012/04/blueberry-cream-cheese-coffeecake/, funny blog, check it, I think she gets me. Found this on Pinterest. Yay!